Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Break-up etiquette

Well, Mom made it here in one piece. We had a blast hanging out the whole weekend. She is now at my sister's and I am back at work!

I have a question to pose to you all. I've been thinking about it for a while... What is the proper way to "break-up" with someone that you've been on a date or two? I know all of the rules for breaking up with a boyfriend (do it in person, not over the phone - that kind of thing) but when it's not somebody you can call your girlfriend or boyfriend yet, how do you do it?

Now, I personally don't think it is appropriate to wait till the next date to have this sort of conversation in person. I simply think it's a waste of everyone's time. I would hate to get all dressed up and go out to a nice dinner, expecting a pleasant evening and get the boot instead. I'd rather hear the words over the phone beforehand.

Either way you do it, it's always hard to find the right words. You don't want to offend the other person but you don't want to mislead him/her either. Any suggestions on how to break it to another person without hurting his/her ego?

I'd love to hear your experiences!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about not going on a 3rd date with someone you know youre not intersted in pursuing a relationship with. That would be kind of leading someone on just to clobber them later. If they call and ask about future plans you should just say that you had a good time, etc, but youre not feeling the connection or something along those lines. Its honest and most importantly not mean. If they ask what they did "wrong" or what you didn't like about them, don't answer. Give generic answers or deflect, because even though they asked, they really dont want to know the answer. :)