Monday, March 19, 2007

Loooooove....

Something I read on someone's blog today got me thinking about why we love people we love...

Once upon a time in a place far far away my BFF Gayle and I went to a wedding reception. In fact, we sort of crashed the reception because her husband was a DJ there and we had to deliver a few CDs to him. We ended up staying and hanging out with a bunch of friends that were there. Here we were sitting at a table having a few drinks when HE walked up. HIS name was Eric and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. He had this twinkle in his eyes that was absolutely irresistible!

To my disappointment, some Blondie walked up and hugged HIM from the back shortly after we met. She happened to be HIS girlfriend of 2 years (as I was informed while investigating HIS background while in the women's restroom). HE left in a few minutes because Blondie wanted to go home. I was devastated but decided I didn't need any drama.

HE came back 20 minutes later... Alone... We drank and danced and laughed. Somehow we ended up going to Wal-Mart (don't ask me why) after the reception and he bought me some hideous hat that I picked up while walking around and insisted on wearing. We made out in the parking lot while waiting for friends to get done shopping. That was the best night of my life (or close to it). I was so wrapped up in my feelings that I never gave him my number and he never asked.

I thought that was just a dream but I couldn't get him out of my head. I ran into him at another wedding reception a few weeks later and he told me he couldn't get me out of his head but I had the strength to tell him that as long as he had a girlfriend nothing was going to happen. I gave him my phone number though when he asked...

He called me a week later and told me he broke up with Blondie and asked me out to dinner. The next month was a bliss! We talked several times a day, saw each other every day, met each other's parents and friends... Then one day he told me he met someone else...

I'd never been so crushed in my whole life. I didn't eat for a couple of weeks. I just layed on my bed staring at the ceiling. I thought my life was over. Of course, time heals almost everything...

It's been 4 years. I've had several boyfriends since then but a little part of me is still not over Eric. Coming to think of it, I barely knew him, he wasn't right for me in any way, we never even had sex(!) but I still keep that hat that he bought me at Wal-Mart...

I'm off to Chicago! Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Jaysey said...

I think we all need those kind of relationships in our lives; they help us grow and make us beter people.
Have fun in Chicago!

Losing my Mind said...

I had one like that- he was a 'dangerous bartender' I thought he had eyes for me- turns out he was trying to get a drink order :S

Unknown said...

I've had several "not right for me" relationships. As cliche as this sounds, I've learned from the past. Of course, a person cannot totally shrug off feelings for an ex (or even a fling)- sometimes feelings linger. We do grow and learn from things like that though. Even if I've had my share of morons, in a weird and twisted way, I'm sort of glad I did! My dad always said that you can't appreciate the good if you haven't experienced the bad...

Anonymous said...

Good for you because you've experienced that whirlwind...I fear I won't let myself dive in head-first like that.