Friday, February 09, 2007

AAAh! Valentine's Day!


Everywhere I look I'm reminded of the fact that the "Heart Holiday" is right around the corner. I'm being bombarded with suggestions for where to go dine, what to eat, drink, what to buy for my significant other! I would have been overwhelmed if I actually had a significant other!

Lucky for me, I don't have to worry about a thing. I'm planning on going to work out after work on that day and then settling in on the couch with a book and a glass of wine. I started thinking about the last few years and realized that I'd never been in a serious relationship on Valentine's Day! Never! Most of my break-ups happened right before Christmas or shortly after. Is that a disturbing pattern or simply a coincidence?

Frankly, I never had a real romantic Valentine's Day period. I've had my share of flowers and cheesy gifts from secret or not-so-secret-but-unwanted admirers but that's about it...

I'm planning on splurging on an extremely good bottle of wine and celebrating my love for myself!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mehhhhhh...Valentine's Day is highly over-rated :) It bugs me that stores and big companies make a mint off of people for this one day in the year. What a stupid, stupid, commercial holiday. It's not even a holiday!

Anyway, when I was dating, I used to think Valentine's Day was such a big deal. I'd get disappointed if whoever I was dating forgot to buy me flowers, or chocolate, or make a reservation at a fancy restaurant or hotel. Now, that I think about it...there shouldn't be one single day of the year when a person's partner should show how they feel.

Pamper yourself...get a good bottle of wine, a little spa treatment, some silky bedsheets and just feel good about yourself :)

This may sound bad, but I've always found that after breaking up with someone, it's always good to do awesome things for yourself...be a little selfish and spoil yourself a bit. Spend time with good friends, go shopping, get a manicure and pedicure, go away on vacation with some good girlfriends...When you feel awesome about yourself, that wonderful, positive, confident energy totally shows...and that is attractive to guys even if you're not looking for anything right then :)

Have fun! This is YOUR time, girlfriend!

Jocelyn said...

I hate all these "mass marketed" holidays, where the buzz is created by people who want to sell you things. Even since I've been married to my dreamy Groom, I haven't become more enamored of St. Valentine's day. Poo.

Melina said...

I hate this holiday, or anyone other one that is made up by Hallmark. I don't like that people feel obligated to buy something for that person. I want my b/f to buy me something because he wants to, not because he's afraid he's going to be sleeping on the couch.

I'm sure it has also something to do with when I used to work at a flower shop, the busiest day of the year and what a day it was

So, go out and do something for yourself, I know I will be. Enjoy the day not the holiday. BTW love your blog.

Anonymous said...

You know that also happens to me, most of my relationships end arounds the January time frame. It never really bothered me though, because the whole Valentine's Day thing always bothered me. It's another "holiday" that's about spending.
Anyway, hope you have an awesome time :)