Monday, April 02, 2007

Promotion and Blast from the Past



I just found out on Friday that I got a promotion and I’m freaking out because I don’t think I’m qualified for it!!! Aaargh!
I’m such a dork: my big corporate boss left me a voicemail last Wednesday and told me to call him on Friday to chat about this new position that I applied for two months ago and haven't heard anything about since. That’s all he said so I thought he was going to give me an update on the process but he started interviewing me when I called. I was so unprepared! Then he told me about how he has two people in his region that applied for this job (I know the other person, she has some 15 years of experience and way more qualified than me) and he wishes he could use both of us but, unfortunately, there is only one position, blah-blah-blah... So I thought he was telling me that because the other person was going to get the job and he was just politely saying, “thanks for playing, try again”, so I sort of stopped paying close attention to what he was saying… Than he goes, “Well, I’d like to informally offer you the position!” I almost fell off the chair!


This job is not going to require relocation. I will still be responsible for the account I work at now but I will also consult 4 other accounts in Missouri, Illinois and Wisconsin. More travel, a lot more responsibility, a little more money and lots of things to prove!!! I've got my work cut out for me!

On a different note, I received an email from Trent this morning asking me if I'd like to hang out when he gets back to the area. Interesting story here: Trent and I went out on a few dates back in college some 5 or 6 years ago!!! I remember him being a nice and cute guy but the timing wasn't right for me so I dumped him (even though in order to surprise me on my birthday, he drove for 4 hours to an upscale grocery store to buy me a jar of black caviar for $60 because I mentioned that I liked it). We lost touch. Fast forward to last year. I was doing the whole online dating thing and noticed a profile of a guy who lived within an 1.5 hours from me. He looked painfully familiar but I couldn't quite remember who he was. I emailed him and turned out that it was Trent but he was currently in Iraq for another year or so. We emailed back and forth a few times but I started dating someone and we stopped talking again... Well, apparently, he is back in the States, coming back to Missouri in the near future. Is this a sign? Crazy story, huh?

9 comments:

Heidi said...

Congratulations on your new promotion.

Unknown said...

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!!! Awesome stuff, girlfriend!!! So happy to hear about the promotion!!! That is excellent news!

Oh, and about Trent...what does your gut feeling tell you? I say give it a go. It wouldn't hurt to meet up. You never know... Plus, people come in and out of our lives for a reason. Sometimes they teach us lessons, sometimes they help us become better and stronger people, and sometimes they just show us what we want or need at the time.

Things are lookin' good for ya, sista-friend! LOL!

Unknown said...

PS. I clicked "publish comment" too soon! LOL! I know friends and I have talked about people from our past re-entering our lives. A friend once said that it was pointless to meet up with someone from the past because if it didn't work then, then why would it work now? I sort of disagree because the people you were then are probably different people than you are now. Circumstances and "stuff" at the time could have been not ideal for you to "get together" then. You never know...plus, it would be neat to just meet up and find out what things are like with him. He may be a nice guy...

m said...

Love those men from the past that just show up out of nowhere. Timing is everything.

Jaysey said...

COngrats on the promotion! And wow--so Trent's back in the picture, huh? That's a pretty wild story...maybe he's your "meant-to-be," your "lobster"...

Girlie Monkey said...

Curiosity: Thank you!

Chrissy: Thank you! To tell you the truth, it's been so long that I barely remember Trent but what I do remember is good so I will definitely ahng out with him and see what happens.

Mindy: I know! Tell me about it!

Jen: Thanks. Trent is definitely a lobster but time will show if he is mine or not, haha!

Melina said...

Congrats on the promotion, if he didn't feel like you could do it, then he wouldn't have given it to you.

As for Trent I agree with Chrissy go with your gut. I've had a couple of guys that the original timing just wasn't right, but later on would've been great. I hope it all works out.

fringes said...

Congrats on the promotion. Good luck with Trent. But maybe not think of it as a sign, but a coincidence. A confluence of events. Good timing. When we start bringing the supernatural into our dating lives, that's asking for big trouble.

Beth said...

Congrats!!!!! And when you come to Wisconsin...we go out and drink like we did in college! Mm'kay???