Friday, February 01, 2008

Reflecting and Contemplating...

Not sure why I am in such phylosophical mood today...
First of all, I am struggling to figure out why I am the way I am when it comes to relationships. It hit me today that I am absolutely terrified of commitment. I knew I had some issues with it before but I never realized how bad it got till now. The reason I am thinking about it is MB and I are doing really well and I think it has a potential to turn into something really serious and I love that idea. I want that to happen but at the same time I kind of find myself suffocating at times. Coming to think of it, I always felt that way at the beginning of a relationship. I really haven't been in a serious relationship in a year and I was single for about 3 years before that one. I am so used to relying on myself and making my onw decisions without having to take anybody else's opinions or plans into consideration, that I find it incredibly difficult to adjust at times. Any suggestions on how to cope would be greatly appreciated.
Second of all, I am struggling with keeping up with my friends. I can't say that I have A LOT of friends but I have quite a few and most of them are very close friends. Due to the fact that I've moved around the country and the globe a few times, a lot of them are very far away from me. Granted, Facebook, MySpace, texting and cell phones in general have made the communication a lot easier but I still constantly feel guilty for not talking to certain friends enough. I am really starting to feel like I have too many close long-distance friends. Ok, that's a terrible thing to say and I certainly don't want to lose any of them. I am just struggling to find the right balance between having to do some work, so I can pay the bills and spending hours on Facebook.
In fact, I should be working right now instead of blogging. I guess I should get to it.
Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

ElPato said...

I just started dating a girl and my initals are MB! And I from Missouri. Freaked me out for a second, especially when I read the part about "Things going pretty well..." haha!Cheers

Girlie Monkey said...

LOL! Different MB but thanks for stopping by. Come back!

Unknown said...

Hey, Girlie! I know how you feel. It is tough trying to keep in touch with everyone on a regular or even semi-regular basis.

As for the relationship part...I was much the same before I met my hubby. I dated around a lot but I was always too cerebral when it came to serious relationships. To be honest, I think it just freaked me out. I liked the idea of something serious, but then when it would get serious, I'd get nervous and panicky. In some warped kind of way, I felt safer knowing that something wasn't too serious. It is really weird.

Then I ended up getting serious with someone for a number of years and it was brutal. Long story short, the guy was an idiot. I decided to not get involved with anyone and just be selfish for a while. I decided to do things just for me. Before I knew it, I met Hubby. Crazy how things happen when you least expect them to.

Anyway, hope you have a great week! TTYS! xo

Evie said...

I think it's a winter thing, most of my single friends are also going through some kind of phase and thinking about relationships. Maybe because of St V coming up on the horizon? The only I can say is it's not because you go out with someone that you have to buy a house together the next week.. Take it easy!!

torvo said...

Interesting blog...

I used to think that I was afraid of commitment, but I realized that attitudes toward relationships are constantly evolving. Like c, I got serious with the wrong person. I guess the key is to try to think as clearly as possible. Hindsight, of course, is 20/20.

But just because you enter a relationship, does not mean that it needs to suffocate you. Your partner should appreciate your independence, not resent it.

Nicey said...

I am loving the Blog, keep on doing what you keep on doing !!

Girlie Monkey said...

TO Evie, Torvo and Nicey:
Thank you so much for stopping by. Come back often! I've got a lot more where that all came from! ;-))