Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A word about the dangers of drunk-dialing/facebooking/myspacing/emailing/texting...

Don't say I didn't warn you!!! Try to refrain from doing any of the above when drunk, kids! Trust me! Experience talking here!

So, I went to a party at a friend's house last Friday, which turned out to be more fun than I expected so I stayed a little too late and drank a little too much (damn those "kamikaze" shots!). Upon stumbling up the stairs to my apartment at 3am I decided that it was a perfect time to have a texting conversation with Matt (army guy living in NC, remember?).

Me: "Hey stranger are you awake?" {why wouldn't he be, right? nobody ever sleeps at 3am, right?}

He never answered. Did I stop there? Oh no, I logged on to MySpace so I can send him a message.
Here's how it went down.

Me: I texted you earlier because I was going to ask you a very weird, random and hypothetical question. I need you to give me an honest answer and then forget that i asked you this. Deal?Here's the question: If we lived in the same zip code, do you think there would have been a possibility for more than random sex between us?I know, I know, you are thinking I am nuts but I have a reason for asking this question.

{He answered within minutes, apparently, my text woke him up}

Matt: hmmm, why are you asking this question in the first place?ANd yes, of course we would date! not just be a random sex partner thingy...yeah weirdo!

Me: That's all I wanted to know ;-)

Matt: why did you want to know? are you coming near here?

Me: Hehehe no, that's not in the plans. I'd rather not explain why I asked you that because you are going to think I am even a bigger weirdo. In fact, I was sort of expecting a different answer

Matt : nah what were you expecting..i mean wtf Girlie Monkey! haha please explain to me and don't be illusive

Me: Ahhhh ok. Well, for some reason, I can't get you out of my head. Even though I only met you once a long time ago... So, I was hoping you'd tell me "no" or just ignore my message so I would get pissed off, come to my senses and forget about it.Yeah, I am nuts ;-)

Matt: awe Girlie Monkey...if we were close I would definitely be your man

Me: You are not helping!

Yeah... I feel like a complete idiot, now that I read this message exchange the next morning. The scary part is - I really do feel that way. Matt seems to have everything I've ever wanted in a guy but he lives on the other side of the country! I am dating MB, who is the best thing that ever happened to me (except for one problem - different story), who treats me like a queen, and what do I do?.... I think about Matt all the time...

While it is true, there is no way I wanted Matt to know any of this (until I took those shots...)

The moral of this story is... well, you got it... put your cell phone and laptop in the freezer prior to going drinking!

6 comments:

BV said...

Don't you think you owe it to yourself to have Matt visit you or you visit him and see if something could work? I don't necessarily believe in long distance relationships, but I do believe that when there is an amazing connection to someone or that magical chemistry, it's so important to give it a chance. I mean you only live once and why look back on something and have regrets? I for one, definitely know how it is to date someone for the moment and still be thinking about someone else (I'm kind of doing that right now). It's pretty apparent that Matt still thinks about you as much as you think about him.

I'm just saying...

;-)

Girlie Monkey said...

Oh Curlygirl, I wish I knew for sure you were right about Matt feeling the same way I do. We might work out some sort of a get together in the next few months...

There is a little bit of hope for the future: he might be moving to the city that's 2.5hours away from me next January. It's not that close but better than the other side of the country. Plus, I am looking for a new job that might just lend me in that same city...

BV said...

Hey, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. But, in the words of Nike, "Just do it!"

Unknown said...

Girlie! This was such a funny, yet honest post! I was cracking up because I have done the same before (of course, this is all prior to me getting married)!

It sounds like MB is a great guy, but if you are constantly thinking of someone else, then perhaps he is not the right guy for you. Just because someone is wonderful, treats you amazingly, and thinks of you as a queen, it doesn't necessarily mean that you need to be with him. I know it sounds warped and I'm not saying to ditch MB, but like Curly Girl said, I think you owe it to yourself to see if something can work between you and Matt.

Who knows what will happen!?! Perhaps you and Matt really are a great match and things may evolve from there. If not, at least you will have had the chance to explore those avenues.

It does seem like Matt has similar feelings for you. He could have responded a lot differently to a 3AM MySpace message! ;)

Life is too short to live it with regrets. XOXO

Girlie Monkey said...

Chrissy: Thank you!
You know, I wish you and CurlyGirl were right about Matt thinking about me but in reality, he hasn't made much effort to try and plan a trip to see me or get me to come and see him. We talked about it several times but I seemed to be more into it than he was... whatever! "Boys are booger eaters" - is the new slogan I have on MySpace ;-)

Unknown said...

LOL! "Boys are booger eaters"! I love that phrase!!

That Matt had better get his a$$ in gear! It sounds like he does have genuine feelings for you, but at the same time, actions speak louder than words. Don't give up on him yet, but at the same time, I wish he would make more of an effort. Anything is possible if both people are willing and ready to invest time and effort.

Keep us posted...and have a super weekend, girlfriend! ;)